Monday, January 09, 2006

Merry Keg Christmas

Working in the service industry one learns that Christmas parties never happen during the normal Christmas party season. This is especially true of the Keg.
Throughout the months of November and December we get business after business filtering through our doors having their Christmas parties while we serve them drink after drink and carry away dirty plates and pick up all manner of disgusting things.
Last night WE were the ones ordering the drinks, dirtying the plates, and leaving who-knows-what who-knows-where. I would like to believe that because we've had to serve parties like this for the past two months that we were gracious and tried to make things as easy as possible, but I know some of the people I work with. And it was a twoonie bar. Enough said.
Our party is always held at a restaurant called "La Bella Notte" (If anyone who is not from Lethbridge comes here randomly please visit this place, it is amazing.), not only is it inside an old firehall so the interior is incredible, but they have the original doors for the trucks which they open in the summer so it's like sitting outside while still being under a roof, they also have a rooftop patio and the most amazing food.
They have the most incredible bruschetta I have ever tasted. This is how good it was: it was so amazing I didn't even touch the chocolate fountain--NOT EVEN ONCE--I think I ate about fourteen pounds of it. For those of you who know me well, for me to not eat chocolate is a grand feat indeed.
We had prizes galore to be given away last night. We bought tickets for $10 for an arms-length and away we went. We had everything from a Nike golf bag, gift certificates to places all over town, a poker set, a Sirius satellite radio, a case of beer and two rounds of golf, steak knives and dinner at the Keg, a keg of beer (seriously, a whole keg), an ipod shuffle...there were about 50 prizes in all. I won two of them. And funnily enough, becuase I was the one who put all the prize packs together, I got the two packs that I considered to be the "crappy ones"...the only crappy ones. (I shouldn't complain, we also gave away two VCR's.)
I am now sporting a men's XXL cherry red polar fleece Molson Canadian pullover (with wind-protector at the bottom) and a jaunty navy Molson Canadian ballcap. I also have a Coors Light sunglasses case, a Pepsi CD case and (the good parts of my prizes) 4 Keg steak knives and a bottle of shiraz.

A table sitting in the bar last week saw Darren doing something and so they asked their server, "Hey, is your manager gay?" In fact, Darren is engaged to a wonderful young woman named Ann and they're getting married on July 22, but when he looks like this what does he expect people to think? And he actually corrects people, "my shirt isn't pink, it's salmon".

Our friends Amy and Donavan (who just got engaged!) are leaving us to move onto a new adventure in Vancouver. I'll be so sad to see them go. Amy keeps me sane. But once Craig and I make our move to beautiful British Columbia we'll be frequent visitors.

Mike always goes home with the biggest haul. I think this year did him in though. The fact that so many people were putting in so much money for that keg of beer really reduced his chances.

Alisha was one of the lucky ducks to go home with a VCR. Can't you just see how happy she is? I'm sure she's about to fall down she's so giddy...

1 comment:

abbott said...

well, you look like you were having some fun at your little keg party. And I want to see you decked out in beer paraphanalia at least once a week. Now....go!

are we still doing lunch next wednesday, or is the jury still out on that? Keep me in the loop, eh.