Sunday, July 16, 2006

Run, Lowell (& Julie), Run!

My sister and her boyfriend, Lowell, ran a triathlon one week ago today.
Lowell had done one before, but he finally convinced Julie to do it by getting her a scholarship for the ITU World Cup Triathlon (Sprint Distance) from the "Get Your Geek On" podcast.
Julie had doubts about her ability to complete the 750m swim, 20km bike ride, and 5km run. However, she finished in an impressive 1:22:38 which put her 3rd in her category (females 20-29) and took 4th of all the women in her entire distance! AND, she was just TWO MINUTES shy of being FIRST! That's amazing in my book.
Lowell ran the Olympic length which required a 1500m swim, a 40km bike, and a 10km run. His goal was to finish in under 3 hours and he finished in an astounding 2:45:06.
Just thinking about those distances is exhausting me. I stole these pictures from Lowell's blog...they were so great that I had to.
Lowell also convinced our cousin Ben to join the triathlon...his passion is spreading...
ADDITION: Lowell has a really cool video summary of their triathlon experience on his blog so feel free to go there and check it out!

1 comment:

m+K said...

I am so impressed too Shareen! The other morning in Edmonton Marc and I were really impressed with ourselves that we had gotten up at 8:30. Then Julie and Lowell came back from a 7km run. It was sort of hard to be impressed with us anymore! :) Kylie