
The move from Alberta was a lengthy but beautiful drive...and HOT! I acquired quite the "trucker tan" (which was actually more of a burn) and Ingrid the iPod performed fantastically...Harry Potter entertained me throughout almost the entire drive.We moved into our little basement suite and life in Victoria was underway. I try and take walks or go for runs most days and every day I am amazed by the new world it seems I live in. It amazes me that I can drive for 10 minutes and be at the ocean. There are trees and beautiful foliage everywhere...and wonderful little creatures...even in our own backyard.
It has been a huge blessing to me to have Lisa and Jen and their family here. They have pulled me out of my basement hole and given me social connections. We began the BC experience on afternoon when Lisa, Sheri and I decided to begin being tourists in our own backyard (with me being new to this backyard I was quite excited about the prospect). We began by going to the Crystal Gardens and learning all about BC...we were also able to get up close and personal with the whales...Lisa in particular was brave and exited the boat (at least she kept her life-jacket on) whereas I chose to remain safe inside the sturdy vessel.
As we walked away from this harrowing experience and back to the car, Lisa and Sheri recommended restaurants and ice cream shops until I got back into the vehicle salivating. Later that week Craig and I took Lisa up on one of her recommendations and went to eat at The Noodle Box, a wonderful Asian noodle bar with incredible food and huge portions at low prices. We'll be regulars, that's for sure.
Then, this past Monday, Lisa, Jen, Sheri and I took another opportunity at local tourism and went out to see some whales. After some smooth operating by Jen to get us a good deal, we were on our way. It was an incredible experience: beautiful day, wonderful company, astounding sights. Many times on the trip I was overcome with feelings of wonder at our incredible world and our teensy little place in it. The guides on our boat were incredibly knowledgeable and we learned so much. 
Jen's on the look-out...and whatever it is that she's seeing through those binoculars it looks like it's got her full attention.
Dad, this is what I was doing on your birthday... and I took this picture for you, just to let you know about the moment when I was thinking of you on your birthday. (Behind me is a rock formation with seals on it - that's what everyone is looking at.)
Whale Watchers! Don't you love those red jackets? So stylish...we found some fun things in the pockets (garter, anyone?) and so decided to leave some gifts in our own. If anyone goes Whale Watching in the next little while and finds a packet of Crystal Light on-the-go and a chewable Immodium in the pocket, or a Chinese business card, or an Oilers tattoo...think of us!
The whales were incredible and majestic. While they didn't come very close to the boat, just the idea that these massive, wonderful creatures were right there and we could see nature in all its glory was amazing.
So that's put us up to date. We are now getting ready to move into our new place...and we are so excited to get settled. And to not be forced to hear a child running and screaming above our heads until midnight every night...that, I think, may be the sweetest of all.
3 comments:
hey shareeny, I got your card last night in the mail. Thanks for the pictures! Make sure you send me your new address once you've moved :-)
What!? You didn't barf during the whale watching excursion. I guess i just don't have sea legs.
Shareen we got your card and pics too. Thank you! We haven't developed pictures in a long time because of our digital camera (no excuse I know) but it's nice to have a few new pictures to put on the fridge. Glad to hear you are having fun in Victoria and sight seeing. We hope to come ou in the fall for a visit. Kylie
Post a Comment