The day started out like any other. I came into the store, greeted Ryan and put away my bag. I took stock of what needed to be done for the day and Ryan left to go to the doctor. I began receiving stock, chatting with guests and singing randomly to songs that came on the radio.
More than most people I know, I have always been aware of background music. At my jobs, at malls, at restaurants, basically anywhere where music is being played I can be heard singing along or saying, "I love this song!" But I digress.
At noon Paige came in--I love working with Paige, she's fantastic and makes me laugh like crazy--and we, after chatting for a few minutes, got back to the business of receiving stock and helping guests.
Just over half an hour later, Sarah came in to say hello.
What felt like minutes later I saw a police van pull up. I said, "Wow, that's a big van, I wonder what's up." The next thing I saw shocked me, "Those are massive guns! Guys! Look!"
We saw the cops heading down the street to the Salvation Army building--a building that is basically kitty corner from us. The cops then began clearing the sidewalks. They shut down the street to traffic and had everyone off the sidewalks...mostly on our side of the street.
We didn't know what was going on until a cop came and asked us to close our door, saying, "there's a man with a gun and he's liable to start shooting at any time."
Alright, I'll shut the door then. Soon after they had us lock it.
We were unable to leave until just after 5:00p.m. (at that point it wasn't over, but we were given a few minutes to shut down what we could and then run with a cop up past the police line). Essentially we were barricaded in our own store. But we had front-row seats for all the action. They brought in the SWAT Team (who knew Victoria had such a thing?), had snipers positioned in various places, used all sorts of crazy gadgets and shots were even fired.
So, from the front row, here's what we saw:



So it turns out that there was an armed robbery at a downtown shop a few blocks away and the guy (who had just gotten out of prison after 22 years) had gone to the halfway house where he was staying and had no idea any of this was going on outside. He apparently wandered out to see what was going on and they grabbed him and took him away. Craziness, pure craziness.
At noon Paige came in--I love working with Paige, she's fantastic and makes me laugh like crazy--and we, after chatting for a few minutes, got back to the business of receiving stock and helping guests.
Just over half an hour later, Sarah came in to say hello.
What felt like minutes later I saw a police van pull up. I said, "Wow, that's a big van, I wonder what's up." The next thing I saw shocked me, "Those are massive guns! Guys! Look!"
We saw the cops heading down the street to the Salvation Army building--a building that is basically kitty corner from us. The cops then began clearing the sidewalks. They shut down the street to traffic and had everyone off the sidewalks...mostly on our side of the street.
We didn't know what was going on until a cop came and asked us to close our door, saying, "there's a man with a gun and he's liable to start shooting at any time."
Alright, I'll shut the door then. Soon after they had us lock it.
We were unable to leave until just after 5:00p.m. (at that point it wasn't over, but we were given a few minutes to shut down what we could and then run with a cop up past the police line). Essentially we were barricaded in our own store. But we had front-row seats for all the action. They brought in the SWAT Team (who knew Victoria had such a thing?), had snipers positioned in various places, used all sorts of crazy gadgets and shots were even fired.
So, from the front row, here's what we saw:




So it turns out that there was an armed robbery at a downtown shop a few blocks away and the guy (who had just gotten out of prison after 22 years) had gone to the halfway house where he was staying and had no idea any of this was going on outside. He apparently wandered out to see what was going on and they grabbed him and took him away. Craziness, pure craziness.
10 comments:
Wow! That is pure craziness!
By the looks of the pictures you had a bit of time on your hands... and are perhaps a very good sniper yourself!
Glad you're safe!
Yikes!! Somehow shareen, you always get to see all the action with the police.
I got your message at 2:30am on saturday and I wasn't sure if you would still be up, and i didn't want to wake you, so I didn't call. I will try calling you later today - after I wake up again :-)
Hokey snmokes. That's wild. You should send your pics to the paper.... sell them.
That's crazy Shareen! I got your message and of course you can stay here....but in the car. Just kidding! hee hee We would love to have you but it may be on the couch because your 'rents are here too. Do you like how I added the apostrophe? Ramble ramble, Kylie
oooh, scary...but exciting! That stuff gives me kind of a rush (as long as I'm not directly involved...)
I think you should do a post about your new friend who moved to Victoria who I am going to meet and become best friends with..... and include pictures!
woah
That's awesome...wow what a crazy time! You took some cool pictures too..I felt like I was watching reading the script of a movie or something! :)
sorry about the bad grammer..:)
Crazy!
Nice shots. There must have been a criminal act on Whyte Ave. in Edmonton this weekend because there was crime scene tape taping off half a block, cop cars, and clothes strewn on the street with markers.....a little scary.
Post a Comment