Saturday, October 28, 2006

Crazy B.C.

I hate this weekend. Not because of anything that has happened, but because of what will happen. It's Halloween weekend and things around here are going to get crazy.
Over the past week there has been an increased occurrence of this incredibly loud noise in our neighborhood, and until last night I didn't know what it was. Firecrackers. The first time I heard it I thought someone had been shot. Last night some punks were setting them off in the teeny parking area beside our building.
I was ranting about this to some people at work today and apparently this is normal activity for B.C. It's Halloween and Halloween=firecrackers. Today while walking downtown I walked by Chinatown and there was a store that had signs in the window: "FIREWORKS 50% OFF"--the store was packed. I should have taken a minute to stock up on earplugs.

7 comments:

D said...

Welcome to Beautiful British Columbia.
As I was walking home last night I saw some fireworks that someone was setting off in their backyard. It was kind of nice actually.

Elizabeth said...

we have firecrackers going outside our window as I type this. I was about to freak out because I was TRYING to put my baby to bed. Good. luck.

Stephen and Amber said...

Fireworks are huge in BC I believe. Our first Halloween in Vancouver I thought there was bullet shots in the park across the street but no just fireworks. As Halloween got closer they were crazier and crazier!

Hillary said...

There are not any fireworks in Toronto, but last night I was travelling home on the subway and I saw more people dressed up than people in regular clothing! The most disturbing was a man dressed as Freddy Cougar. He really looked scary! Hopefully your neighbourhood won't be too crazy!

m+K said...

I concur with all the BCites here both current and former. It got so loud around our house the weeks leading up to Halloween! Last year Marc showed his manliness when a teenager who kept lighting fireworks was yelling rude and distaseful comments at us. Marc started walking towards him and looked very mean and the young fireworking hoodlum ran away rather quickly. Go Marc go! Kylie

Anonymous said...

There was a bush party near our house last night - a few firecrackers were so loud the SHOOK OUR HOUSE!

Stupid teenagers (do I sound old, or what?)

:)

~Nanc. said...

YES!! I was just lamenting about this the other day... I thought it was such a strange occurance... why halloween... then I thought maybe we don't do it back home because in Alberta no one wants to stand out in the cold for any longer than they have to! Unless of course you were smart enough to make your costume fit over your snowsuit!