I like to sit in front of the television while doing my makeup in the morning. Sure it takes longer than it probably would if I wasn't sitting there watching "What Not to Wear" or "CSI: Miami" (those cheesey Horatio lines get me giggling in the morning--and I've decided that his head must be too heavy for his neck to hold up because he's always cocking his head to the side or hanging it down...poor guy) but whatever, that's my routine...I picked it up from Kylie. This morning I was flipping and I saw that Mr. Rogers was on and I realized that even though I know that he's the man in the cardigan that teaches you to love your neighbour I had never actually seen his show. So I tuned in for a bit. Did/does that show ever actually entertain children? With the other stuff on today it probably doesn't. For the time I watched he was explaining the purpose of a funnel and then he poured orange juice into a bottle with it and asked the kids to yell "top of the block!" when the orange juice got to the top of the block he had placed beside the bottle. When it got to the top of the block he poured the juice back in the jug and then went and fed his fish (noting that he was feeding them fish food, not orange juice). I just don't understand. Maybe it's because this information is really not new to me that it wasn't riveting, but maybe I caught the weak part of the show. Still, though, there was something about Mr. Rogers. Even when we was pouring the orange juice and asking, "are we there yet?" he just seemed so sweet. Like a kindly old uncle...whose sweaters you'd borrow when you went over to visit because let's face it, they're hip.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
and I said, "WHAT?"
I left somewhat of a rant on Marc & Kylie's answering machine this morning about this, so sorry if this is repetitive.
I like to sit in front of the television while doing my makeup in the morning. Sure it takes longer than it probably would if I wasn't sitting there watching "What Not to Wear" or "CSI: Miami" (those cheesey Horatio lines get me giggling in the morning--and I've decided that his head must be too heavy for his neck to hold up because he's always cocking his head to the side or hanging it down...poor guy) but whatever, that's my routine...I picked it up from Kylie. This morning I was flipping and I saw that Mr. Rogers was on and I realized that even though I know that he's the man in the cardigan that teaches you to love your neighbour I had never actually seen his show. So I tuned in for a bit. Did/does that show ever actually entertain children? With the other stuff on today it probably doesn't. For the time I watched he was explaining the purpose of a funnel and then he poured orange juice into a bottle with it and asked the kids to yell "top of the block!" when the orange juice got to the top of the block he had placed beside the bottle. When it got to the top of the block he poured the juice back in the jug and then went and fed his fish (noting that he was feeding them fish food, not orange juice). I just don't understand. Maybe it's because this information is really not new to me that it wasn't riveting, but maybe I caught the weak part of the show. Still, though, there was something about Mr. Rogers. Even when we was pouring the orange juice and asking, "are we there yet?" he just seemed so sweet. Like a kindly old uncle...whose sweaters you'd borrow when you went over to visit because let's face it, they're hip.
I like to sit in front of the television while doing my makeup in the morning. Sure it takes longer than it probably would if I wasn't sitting there watching "What Not to Wear" or "CSI: Miami" (those cheesey Horatio lines get me giggling in the morning--and I've decided that his head must be too heavy for his neck to hold up because he's always cocking his head to the side or hanging it down...poor guy) but whatever, that's my routine...I picked it up from Kylie. This morning I was flipping and I saw that Mr. Rogers was on and I realized that even though I know that he's the man in the cardigan that teaches you to love your neighbour I had never actually seen his show. So I tuned in for a bit. Did/does that show ever actually entertain children? With the other stuff on today it probably doesn't. For the time I watched he was explaining the purpose of a funnel and then he poured orange juice into a bottle with it and asked the kids to yell "top of the block!" when the orange juice got to the top of the block he had placed beside the bottle. When it got to the top of the block he poured the juice back in the jug and then went and fed his fish (noting that he was feeding them fish food, not orange juice). I just don't understand. Maybe it's because this information is really not new to me that it wasn't riveting, but maybe I caught the weak part of the show. Still, though, there was something about Mr. Rogers. Even when we was pouring the orange juice and asking, "are we there yet?" he just seemed so sweet. Like a kindly old uncle...whose sweaters you'd borrow when you went over to visit because let's face it, they're hip.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Shareen, I just got your message and it was so funny! I heard the phone this morning but didn't get it on time so when I checked the message I was expecting something boring and usual but I quite enjoyed your Mr. Rogers tirade. I would like to further discuss the quirkiness of Mr. Rogers with you this evening. We are leaving for Princeton in about 15 minutes and I will phone you from here.
Kylie
PS Putting on my makeup in front of the TV is much more difficult now that I wear glasses all the time. I mainly just listen now because I can't see so it actually takes me a lot less time than it did before.
I liked Mr.Dressup when I was growing, I never did like Mr.Rogers.
I meant growing UP. Not just growing.
So I was watching Ellen last night and she's going on and on about these "Ellen underwear" that she sells. She then goes on to mention that they had been on sale the day before because a girl named "Shareen" from "British Columbia" had written in that they were too expensive. And I couldn't help but think of you! Was it you? :)
I have been ranting about Horatio for years!
Shareen, I will go on my own rant about Mr. Rogers:) Have you ever seen his segments where he explains mail and how it gets from the mailbox to your house? Its like "how its made" for kids. Its totally awesome. The main thing with Mr. Rogers is that he's a nice old man and there aren't that many kids that get to spend time with nice old men anymore. Either they don't have a dad or don't have a grandpa, or their grandpa lives on the other side of the country and they never get to see him. Although I'll admit, I was never a big Mr. Rogers fan, Mr. Dressup was much cooler.
Post a Comment