
My two little sisters, Julie and Carlynne, how could anyone resist their charms? Besides the fact that they're blonde-haired, blue-eyed, drop-dead-gorgeous girls...they're brilliant. Carlynne's in Medical School and Julie's getting her Masters in Speech Language Pathology... I miss having them around. I mean, I haven't actually lived with them for years, and when I did we often fought about them using my stuff (or let's face it, me using their stuff) or other such random fights that always seem to occur between siblings. But they're twins, and as such, they're best friends. There's no getting in there...so I think that when I lived at home I didn't know my sisters like I started to when I moved out. When I moved out, not only was communication something that had to be initiated out of desire (not just due to physical proximity), it was generally only with one sister at a time and so I got to learn more about "Julie" or "Carlynne", not "JulieandCarlynne".
My sisters have grown into very wise, mature women. I care very much what they have to say about events and decisions in my life; they each have their own special lenses through which they view the world. They challenge me by the way they live their lives and when I think about the future I look forward to family gatherings--and although I can't picture much--I know there will be a great deal of laughter wherever we are together.

Sometimes I miss being little, playing in the playhouse for hours, playing "Blue Black Baloney" with Julie and Carlynne in the basement (that game is no longer allowed in our house because of the injuries it caused--one injury, when Julie's head connected solidly with my right cheekbone, in fact gave me a dimple...strange, but true, she's very proud of it), laying in the tent-trailer and making fun of the people that went by (ahem, NOT such a good idea for those contemplating it, people tend to get mad when made fun of), making Julie and Carlynne go get things for my friends and I (who knows why they did it but they always did), spending all day every day of every summer at Henderson pool with Mum and Dad meeting us for lunch and supper, family road trips and so much more. Sometimes it's scary to think, "I'm an adult", I feel like I'm 14 pretending to be all grown up...but with Julie and Carlynne I don't know if we'll ever be grown-up...at least not all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment