Today I took advantage of my day off. Ordinarily I will putter around the house, clean, read, watch TV, go to the gym, go grocery shopping... Today, however, I decided to check out the Titanica Exhibition at the Royal BC Museum. I asked Craig if it was something he would be interested in and as he hummed and hawed (showing not a lot of enthusiasm) I decided I would go by myself.
First I went to the IMAX show based on the 1987 dives that were the first to explore the wreckage of the massive ship. Afterwards I headed up the escalator to the special Titanic Exhibit. I stood in line and noticed the employees were dressed in period costumes and some were coming up and down the line handing something out. I was soon handed my own and was excited to see my very own "boarding pass", likened to look as they would in 1912. 

I was privileged to be traveling as Mrs. Isidor Straus (Ida Blun was my actual name - Isidor Straus was the name of my husband, who incidentally, owned Macy's in New York City). I was a first class passenger and thus was treated to all the luxury the Titanic was built for. 

the first class grand staircase
who knew they had a fitness centre on the Titanic?
I did not make it, neither did Isidor.
The exhibit was beautifully laid out and full of interesting pieces and information. I was very touched by the effort that was put into celebrating the lives that went into the building of the ship as well as those lost and those who lived. No one was excluded. Items were identified if possible and owners were named in the exhibit. An officer's shirt was recovered and it has his name lovingly written on the collar; someone didn't want him to lose it...let alone to lose him. The most poignant part for me was entering one room that was quiet only to see the words "Iceberg ahead!" lit in front of me. Facts about the lookouts and the warnings followed but I caught my breath as I saw--in the museum--a massive piece of ice. I stood there, with my hand on the ice thinking of the passengers who laughed as the iceberg passed by, throwing ice onto their decks.
I don't know why I've always been so fascinated by the Titanic (certainly not due to Leonardo diCaprio and Kate Winslet, I know that for sure) but for some reason my heart is gripped by the story.
3 comments:
Would have loved to have gone with you top the Titanica exibit = noticed the signage for it when I was there - but it was for after I left ;-(
I also love the Titanic - did a Grade 6 Science Fair project on raising the Titanic (before they really knew it was in pieces) - built a model - in a fish tank - blew a balloon up in it - been hooked ever since!
Wow...that looks like such a cool exhibit...I have always been fascinated by the Titanic too.
P.S. Confession...since I was in my teen years when the movie came out, I loved Leo and Kate in Titanic. :)
Shareen...i would have joined you too! I love the Titanic...and i am a sucker for a good museum.
Post a Comment