Sunday, April 29, 2007

Victoria Happenings

Is 5 days later soon? Ooops. I need to make some priorities here...blog = priority. :)
So Victoria has been bustling with activity these days. The first event I am thrilled to report is called 420. In the 70's, a group of students would gather together at 4:20 every afternoon to smoke up. The term 420 gathered steam and the in calendar shorthand grew to represent April 20. The 420 Campaign urges individuals to become involved in the political process and the drug policy reform movement. Specifically, the Campaign calls for leveraging April 20th as a focal point every year to concentrate pressure on Parliament to legalize marijuana.
I took my break at 4:15 and ran down to Centennial Square to see what was up. It was filled with hundreds upon hundreds of people waiting to celebrate smoking pot in public. I got there just in time for the countdown. "4 - 3 - 2 (lighters are held aloft as joints and pipes alike are at the ready) - 1" Almost immediately the sickly sweet smell was so strong I coughed. I almost felt embarrassed not to be smoking, but to be observing...and taking pictures. :)The cherry blossoms on our street have come and gone, but other trees have filled to bursting. Especially along the streets of Chinatown.
On Friday the SWAT team once again made a trip downtown. We believe a van was stolen and then abandoned in the middle of the street. However, this story is made more interesting by the man who came into our store demanding to know where the back door was. Since we don't have one he tried to hide in one of the fitting rooms. I asked him to leave and thankfully he left without any fuss. When the police came by describing the perp (I love that word) it was definitely him. Freaky. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I took some on the store camera but don't have them at home. The car was towed and the day proceeded as normal.
There is a wonderful artist--who I've never seen--who makes my day at least once a week. My bus stop downtown is right outside a Chapters so sometimes I go browse, but some days I walk to my usual spot to find things like this on the sidewalk:Always replicas of a Master's work. Beautifully done, only to be washed away by the inevitable rain, stepped on by hundreds of commuters...but it makes my day every time.
It seems the rain is coming to an end...maybe. Friday was a definite NOT STOPPING.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sidewalk artist friend reminds me of Dick Van Dycks chimney sweep character in Mary Poppins - and that is an excellent thing!

Gillian said...

420 on Thursdays at the Fountain at UVic... profs and students alike... the same thing happens!
And Jen is here starting the day after Victoria Day (whatever day that is) for a week. We will definately have to do something!