Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympic Snacking

So, as I've had my butt glued to the couch for the past 14 days (Craig is so sick of the Olympics - since when have I ever cared about the bobsled? Yet, I insist we watch it. And the cross-country skiing, figure skating, hockey, everything the stations can stream I try to take it all in simultaneously), I've had lots of time to snack infront of the tv. Since there's been an abundance of tv time, we've tried to keep the snacking to a minimum, but sometimes you just gotta have some nibblers. I just can't get enough of these lately:

Roasted Chickpeas

1 can chickpeas, drained
olive oil spray
salt
chili pepper powder
cumin
paprika
coriander
curry powder
garlic powder



Preheat oven to 375°. Drain chickpeas in a colander and let them dry completely. Pat dry with a paper towel if needed. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for about 30-35 minutes, shaking the pan every ten minutes. All ovens are different so make sure they don't burn. They will be golden brown and crunchy on the inside when done, not moist.In a medium bowl, combine all the spices. Remove chickpeas from oven when done and spray with olive oil spray. Immediately toss with spices while hot. Eat at room temperature.

I like to mix up the spices...I just made one tonight with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper, cumin and a touch of cinnamon, sugar and ginger. Mmmmm...can't wait for them to cool.

Any other good snacking ideas for me?

4 comments:

Sneep Family said...

Those sound fabulous!!! I have a can of chick peas...I'm going to make them...maybe even tonight!!!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a food dehydrator? Apple rings are one of my favourite. Except for I don't have one of those things that pushes out the core, so mine aren't rings exactly. But I like to dry them extra long so they are crispy - kind of like eating potato chips made of apple! Soak them in lemon if you don't want them to turn brownish. I keep meaning to try soaking them in a cinnamon mixture, but I always forget!
Alisha

P.S. You should just get a dehydrator. Homemade jerky....

abbott said...

oooh, those look yummy. I bought a can of chickpeas (one of my faves!) today to try it out. Thanks shareen!

Anonymous said...

These sound good. I am going to try them. Jackie intorduced me to dried pineapple chunks from Costco. A few are very filling!
Aunt Cheryl