We did many things while in San Francisco, but one thing that was mentioned to us by our soon-to-be brother-in-law Daniel was checking out the Sea Lions at Fisherman's Wharf. The boisterous barking pinnipeds started arriving in droves, taking over the docks in January 1990 shortly after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake (see, the pamphlets really are useful, our trip was also educational!). I'm sure Fisherman's Wharf is never a ghost town, but due to the fact that we were visiting over a holiday weekend, the boardwalk was teeming with people.
We finally found/made our way over to K-Dock, where the Sea Lions make their home. Incidentally, I just learned that you can watch them, at any time, on the "Sea Lion WebCam" provided by the Pier 39 website.
We finally found/made our way over to K-Dock, where the Sea Lions make their home. Incidentally, I just learned that you can watch them, at any time, on the "Sea Lion WebCam" provided by the Pier 39 website.
So we ambled over, following the sounds of splashes and incessant barking...and this is what we found:
Incidentally, I realized while I stood there watching with my family-sized bag of mini donuts that if I didn't stop eating like this
I was going to end up like this. Look how he's weighing down the whole corner and everything else is up in the air! 

Sometimes the Sea Lions can have a really big effect on you. Me? I deal with it through mini donuts. This lady has taken to carrying tiny sized bottles of booze when she knows she'll be visiting them. It was a rough day.
This one was really friendly (well, maybe not...I did hear stories about a few swimmers being attacked by Sea Lions the previous few weeks...but he was hanging out on the support beams of the pier so I could take copious amounts of pictures).






6 comments:
Great storytelling!
Sounds like fun- and I love the whole smattering of pictures!!
PS- I'll see you in 4 weeks!!!! WAHOOOO!! Then you can see the new do in real life:)
Sea Lions are cool, but I really like your orange shirt.
Great post Shareen with fun pictures!! You two sure picked a nice week to go to San Fran!
Love, Dad
Sounds like and awesome trip. I actually lost all my San Fran pics so seeing yours was great. I'm sorry the people didn't perform for you, must have just been the day we were there.
Maybe we can go back some day. Now that I think about it, when I was there there it was the 4th of July and they were serving a lot of beer all over. Maybe the lady with the little liquor bottle was onto something, maybe it makes the sealions funnier.
D
You are so funny. Whenever I read you blog I miss you cuz you write just like you talk and your crazy personality shines right on through. I love that second last photo of Craig. What a nut!
Post a Comment