Monday, March 03, 2008

My Favorite Things

Yes, I'm copying Julie. Deal with it. If I were Oprah, and you were in my audience, this is what you would be getting (in no particular order):

1. Bamboo Sheets. Craig and I bought a pair with some gift card money we had from a wedding present and me oh my they are almost constantly on our bed. I take them off in the morning so I can have them clean by night-time when I wash them. I love the feeling of freshly washed sheets when you slide into bed and bamboo sheets give you that feeling night after night! We're after more - I even put them on my Christmas list this year.
2. Audiobooks. I'm a nerd. I love to listen to books on my iPod...and documentaries...and speaker series thingamabobs... I'm currently re-listening to the Harry Potter series while I'm running. I realize this may not "pump up" most people, but I get lost in the story and I don't realize how much time is going by, instead of monitoring my exercise in 3-minute segments.

3. Pride & Prejudice - the original BBC version. Love it. It very well be the best thing ever made...Mr. Darcy....oh, and the movie too. Four straight hours of pure joy.
4. Kiehl's Self-Tanner. No self-tanner works better...it's so natural, doesn't go orange, doesn't smell awful like so many others, and you don't need to use a lot (one bottle - 150mL - lasted me a year).5. Anne of Green Gables. I don't own this, although I wish I did. I remember when I was in grade 6 and I had my wisdom teeth out, laying on the couch with a bag of peas under my face and one on top, slurping lukewarm blended soup out of a cup and spilling most of it, while watching this Canadian Classic. Megan Follows will never be anyone but Anne to many generations of Canadians.
6. KitchenAid Stand Mixer. I - should I say "we"? - got one as a wedding present from Craig's parents and I love it. Not only is it just so purty, but so darn handy. However did I bake without it?
7. Gift certificate to Chapters so I can buy books (or more audiobooks?). I love to read. One day I hope to have a library with a comfy reading area...not unlike the one my parents have, I guess.

8. Sugar. I have a huge sweet tooth. I'm really trying to tone it down, but I was trying to settle on one candy I would give away and I just kept jumping from one to another, "Sour Patch Kids! No...chocolate covered almonds! Hmmmmmm, Jelly Bellys? No, what about Swedish Berries? Or m&m's....oh man...now I'm getting a craving...." And I am. If I wasn't so lazy (and didn't know it would make me feel ill - because I know I'll buy too much and then eat it all) I'd go to the grocery store and buy some bulk jelly bellys right now.
9. China. I love my china pattern. It's the same one my Mum's Mum had and now Mum has. It's a discontinued pattern, so finding pieces has been challenging at times, but I now have eight place settings. I think owning china is worth it because it's beautiful and rare. It's ornate and shows your guests that they're special. It's timeless. I love the age and story behind the pieces...the history of china...tea time is so special in beautiful cups.
10. Tea. I love tea. When I was younger, I used to add so much sugar to my tea (shocker, really) that it wouldn't even all dissolve and I loved the sugary sludge at the bottom. Although I still add sugar to my tea, I've tempered the amount quite a bit. Nothing makes me feel better or relaxes me more at the end of a day like a cup of tea.

11. Cosmetics. I am a makeup junkie. Some of you may know that I'm looking into/beginning to start my own makeup artistry business. I've already done quite a few weddings and a few grads but nothing "on the books". I do it because I love it. And because I love it, I own A LOT of product. I actually need to keep myself from going to certain malls due to my lack of willpower. However, soon I will have an opportunity to do some serious product shopping (I'll blog about that another time) but Craig will be there to babysit me and keep me to the budget. My current favorite products? My MAC fafi Hipness blush, MAC 136 brush, Benefit BadGalLash mascara, Urban Decay Shadow Primer, Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes Pencil -- just to name a few.

8 comments:

Lowell & Julie said...

Wow, your list is a lot more realistic than mine... and perhaps a little more mature :)

I'm soooo with you on the P&P. Maybe I'd make a little package with that and You've Got Mail.

(My goodness! The "f" word is in my word verification!)

Janice said...

i totally want a kitchen aid mixer too...and i am with you on the MAC makeup... all though i buy it like crazy i tend to not use it cause i don't know what the heck i am doing, they show me in the store, and i get home and i look like a hooker when i do...

hey here is an idea, you should do a weekly makeup session!!! with visual aids - that would be awesome!!

m+K said...

Shareen, remember how much sugar we used to put in our tea when we drank it together?!! Marc and I were just talking how I have really toned down the amount of sugar I put in tea. Glad to hear you have too! Next time we can have tea party instead of a sugar party!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Anne of Green Gables thing - I LOVE that movie. And the books. Definitely - if I was Oprah - my guests would get the whole series!!!! (As for the kitchen aid and the sheets - I am excited to get married for stuff like that too....)

Karyn Clemens said...

I now have the urge to sit down with a cup of sugar...ahem...tea...and watch Anne. Except that it's bedtime, so I'll curl up with my heating bag(which I love) and dream of Camelot..or Avonlea...instead :)

~K~

Bloggy Mama said...

WE have a lot in common, Shareen ;)

Hillary said...

Your favorite things list has made me feel all warm and cozy. I just might have to steal your idea and make up my own list. I would put my Kitchen Aid on it too!

Anonymous said...

#8 caught my eye and is making my mouth water. I'm going to go to my Licorice Allsorts cache now.
Love, Dad