The familiarity of everything, the ability to relax with ease, great food. I did enjoy my time away, but I love home.
My trip started off as I flew to Victoria in order to help Craig move and attend his graduation. It was a busy few days, but Craig is finished at the National Coaching Institute and all of his things are in storage.

Our time in Victoria was good. Punctuated not only by live versions of Jerry Springer being acted out outside our window but also by trips downtown, frequently grabbing dinner from Rising Star, going to my first Jazzercise class, walking down by the breakwater...all good times. The hotel was not as bad as I make it sound--yes there were characters all around and the walls were thin, but it was clean and it was safe. And it had cable TV so I could watch the food network all day while Craig was working on his projects.

After leaving Victoria we were privileged to stay with Craig's best man Shawn for a night before heading to Sunset Marina where we were to catch our boat to Keates Island where our pre-marriage course was being held. Barnabas Family Ministries--its staff and its facilities--is amazing. The fact that the Lord has put it on peoples' hearts to build such a place and provide such amazing courses makes me so thankful. The speaker who was brought in (Clifford Stunden) was wonderful. Waking up to such incredible views awed me each morning.
It was also wonderful to meet other couples at the same stage of life. Some couples were not really our type of people (translation: really annoying), but we connected with a few. One couple in particular, and for that reason let alone the great insight given, the weekend was a success.

The drive home began. A stop to visit Marc & Kylie in Chilliwack provided much laughter. The older I get, the more I appreciate my family. My older brother is not only a wonderful man, but he has chosen a wonderful woman with whom to share his life. Kylie could not be any more my sister if she had been born into our family. Their wonderful personalities are dear to me, I love their ability to be silly and laugh at themselves while remaining grounded in who they are. Could I have asked for a better flower-girl and ring-bearer? I think not.

After leaving their house we began the drive home. The trip was punctuated with random conversation, laughter, stopping at bookstores, Patricia Cornwell's "Jack the Ripper" audiobook, almost running out of gas and many strange photos. I thought that drive would take forever, but the company made it fly by.
We soon arrived in Calgary to spend some time with Craig's parents. Our trips to their house always include a lot of card playing--I am proud to say that Craig's Mom and I are the reigning Canasta champions.
And now part of me can't believe I'm finally home while part of me feels like I never left. I love sitting at my computer with my dog lying at my feet. The sounds of construction going on in the backyard and sunshine pouring in the windows. Soon (and coming up sooner every single day) this will no longer be where I live, but it will always be home.
1 comment:
Thank you for your nice words Shareen, I feel the same about you and Julie and Carlynne too! Your sis, Kylie (How cheesy is that!)
Post a Comment