Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Awkward Moment

So often I tell the stories of all the bad things that happen to me at work. The hassles, the rudeness, the lack of tipping... But funny and sometimes great things happen too. I've been in the position to help two couples with their engagement (you know the deal, hide the ring in the food, or bring out a present with dessert...) but last night--I still have to laugh--was ridiculous.
I had a table of a lovely couple, they were fun and easy-going and excited for dinner. Everything was going swimmingly when it was time to deliver the salads. I brought them out, set them infront of each of them and made some comment that I can't remember now due to the horror of my next realization. They were silent.
I looked at each of them, the guy looked stunned, the girl was staring at something on the table. I looked. I could have died. There sat a beautiful diamond ring.
I took a quick peek at her left hand and it was naked. This was no anniversary ring...this was it...and I'm sure it was not his plan for me to bring caesar salads in the middle of his proposal.
So I stood there and finally said the only thing that came to mind: "Would either of you care for any fresh ground pepper?"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Shareen you said work was good and slow but you forgot to mention that specific event. Fantastic,

Aaron

D said...

That's better than what I would have said. I don't know what it would have been, but it would have been much, much, lamer than that.

abbott said...

I am coming home the weekend of the 24th, 25th, 26th.

Christy and Dustin said...

OOoops.
heehee

Stephen and Amber said...

That is so funny. You will be talked about in their rendition of the engagment I am sure!

Jessi said...

treasure the awkwardness, always makes for an amazing story. good job shareen, i actually kind of wish that it had happened to me.

Angella said...

i did a stint as a server...and there was never a dull moment :)
Thanks for your sweet comment - not cheesy at all...blogging has just made my life richer will all of the "new" friends I've made :)

Elizabeth said...

so sweet!! Just imagine, now, when they tell their proposal story?!!!! It's going to be great!