I remember there being a moment, an actual moment, when I felt "Christmas-y" each year.
When I was younger it was often late November as Grandpa had gone out to get Kentucky Fried Chicken and we set up the tree as we always did on his birthday. I remember getting into my pyjamas and licking my greasy fingers between hanging ornaments. As I got older I remember the moment happening as I would drive through the Alberta winter wonderlands - seeing the Christmas lights twinkle off the snow while I belted out Christmas tunes - there would be a tingle up my spine and that would be it...Christmas.
It's been hard to access that over the last couple of years. There's not much snow out here on the Island, and two years ago we went to Arizona for Christmas. It was beautiful, but seeing the inflatable snowmen juxtaposed by the giant saguaro cactus was strange and a bit disconcerting. But yesterday, as I drove home from my friend's house I felt it, the tingle. I was singing along with Band Aid's "Do They Know it's Christmas", it was that period between dark and daylight and the Christmas lights I did see were twinkling off the wet roads (due to a two-week stretch of non-stop rain).
I had put up our tree the day before what would have been Grandpa's birthday - sans KFC. My Christmas music collection is small now, after the great Canada Post debacle of 2006 in which all my Christmas music was stolen (and believe you me, I had a lot), but I'm building it back up with quality rather than quantity.
I'm excited to head home for the holidays this year, to see the lights twinkle in the snow (or the brown, dead grass, whatever the case may be) and to feel Christmas all over again.
I had put up our tree the day before what would have been Grandpa's birthday - sans KFC. My Christmas music collection is small now, after the great Canada Post debacle of 2006 in which all my Christmas music was stolen (and believe you me, I had a lot), but I'm building it back up with quality rather than quantity.
I'm excited to head home for the holidays this year, to see the lights twinkle in the snow (or the brown, dead grass, whatever the case may be) and to feel Christmas all over again.
6 comments:
i don't remember the last time i felt christmas-y! These days it seems to just come and go...perhaps i should go in pursuit of it!
Your tree looks gorgeous. I'm just itching to get mine up... gaahhhhh
If the snow we are getting now stays around we will have a lovely white Christmas here for you when you come home!!! Dad, Julie and Lowell are out making the most of the snow today on x-country skis. Your tree does look lovely as do those stars in the background :)
Love, Mum
You shall have NO TROUBLE feeling Christmas if you catch any of THIS weather when you get home. It's a winter wonderland! Much X-country skiing to be done!!
Love the tee!!
Merry Christmas. Your tree is beautiful.
I feel christmasy way to much considering most people think it should be relegated to just one lonely month of the year. I will gladly share with you if you like. As for Christmas music, I recommend John Denver and the Muppets. Nothing quite gets me in the mood like Miss Piggy singing "Five Go-o-o-o-ld rings"
Alisha
Post a Comment