Sunday, May 24, 2009

Gardening Virgin

We are thoroughly enjoying being homeowners, and loving Vancouver Island in the spring. My Mum always had - and still has, mind you - a beautiful garden and we frequently were asked to run out to grab a head of lettuce for that night's salad, to help dig some potatoes or to pull some of those damned weeds. When Carlynne moved out she carried on the legacy and I enjoyed going to her house and picking berries in the backyard (when her neighbour wasn't claiming them as hers) as well as eating her wonderful home-grown produce. I've never been into gardening myself, but I'm starting to think that maybe that was because it was never my own. I don't have a lot of space (i.e. no real space for vegetables, only herbs and strawberries...the rest are flowers), but I'm enjoying making what I do have feel like home. We have a front deck and a back patio area. The front is better for most things as it gets a lot more sun but the back is a lovely place to BBQ and eat dinner. I'm sure once it gets hotter we'll spend a lot more time out there. We have chairs in both areas, but no table out back yet. I love going out front after I get home from work. I make a cup of tea and head out with a book to sit in the sun. It's pretty cozy looking, don't you think? I can't wait until all the flowers are blooming.Roses have always been special to me as Rose is my middle name (and my Mum's maiden name). I've planted two shrub roses, one climber and one miniature.
We have grand plans for our home, but for now are just enjoying living at it. We keep plugging away at little projects and are excited about our complex and helping make the place the best it can be.
We are looking forward to the summer and have no concrete plans other than heading down to Seattle with Marc & Kylie and Mum & Dad to wander and watch a Blue Jays/Mariners game. So here's to a flourishing garden and a beautiful and relaxing summer!

8 comments:

m+K said...

Shareen, your plants look great!! I really want to plant herbs this year (after you got me going on mint last year) and your little post here has me inspired.

I too had a raspberry picking experience with Carlynne's neighbour. Funny!

We are really excited about Seattle too!!!

Anonymous said...

Those plants are flourishing well under your tutelage Shareen. The chairs need some people in them next time around though please.
Love,
Dad XXXXXOOOOO

Bloggy Mama said...

They totally look great. What a cozy space. Awesome!!

Avery said...

Shareen! I have the same planters and have started my own little garden on our balcony as well. We just moved into a house (semi) too. It is so much fun to watch things grow. I too am excited for the flowers to come up. I planted some edible flowers:) The only problem is, the pigeons keep eating and throwing around my little shoots that are just starting up! Grrr. It's all because of the abandoned house two doors down. The pigeons all live on that roof!

Take care! Enjoy many BBQs on your deck!

Avery

Anonymous said...

Even a little bit of gardening just makes the summer, doesn't it? I have pots all over our patio, and cannot wait to buy a house with a yard so I can go wild.
Welcome back to blog!

abbott said...

when are you heading to seattle? My mom and i are planning to go in august. maybe we'll see each other :) miss you too

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what you can do with a small space! And fresh herbs are great - nothing like picking a little for- whatever-just because you can. Salad greens grow great in containers, too if you want to try something else. Have fun gardening! We love it.
Candy & Brian

m+K said...

wow. provocative title and a bold admission to the world.

i just came in from watering/examining our own porch garden. love it.
marc