Thursday, June 01, 2006

Convocation

Yesterday was my University Convocation. I've been finished since December but, as they put it, "The degree does not become official until it is conferred upon you." Yesterday, my degree was conferred.
It was fun.
Yes, to most people, sitting in a polyester robe for 2 hours watching 300 people walk across a stage--most of whom you've never seen before--is not a good time. But I loved it. I don't know why. The speaker was amazing. Her name is Chava Rosenfarb (she's written numerous novels and books of poetry about pre-WWII Poland and Nazi War Camps so check those out if you're interested), and when she spoke it was so incredible that there were few dry eyes in the place.
"It is with a sense of immense pride that I accept this degree. You see, this is the first degree I have ever received from a University and so today is my graduation almost as much as it is yours. I did not have the opportunity to attend a University. To sit in a classroom and be taught by experts... My University was the Second World War. I am a graduate of the Holocaust... Finally, I have received my degree, so far away from where my story began... I wish you all the best, my dear graduates. Remember, the future grows out of the past."
~Chava Rosenfarb

5 comments:

abbott said...

yeah!! congradulations shareen. You look so pretty in your cap and gown. I love graduations. I think they are fantastic and that every person that finishes university should go to it.

Jenessa Fowke said...

Congrats Shareen. Be proud of your achievement, because not everybody can achieve what you did. I remember the day I graduated - I smiled from beginning to end.

Gillian said...

yay congrats! I'll be able to say the same thing about me next week...!

Stephen and Amber said...

congrats! It looks like a beautiful day as well! Now on to the Masters?

abbott said...

I am not quite sure yet when I am coming down. It will either be thursday night or early friday morning. I am totally up for decorating!! Just give me a call and let me know when and where :-)