Sunday, October 21, 2012

Auntie = Awesome

Note: I began writing this post in early July and promptly forgot about it.  MUCH has happened since then, but this isn't about that.

------------------
I have discovered in the last two years (plus 7 months and 4 days to be exact) that I love being an aunt.  I get all the fun of hanging out with kids and being part of their lives, but none of the responsibilities of raising little humans.

We were so lucky to live within a few hours of Marc and Kylie (stupid ferry took extra time), which allowed for weekend visits.  This enabled me to be more of a familiar face to the mainland clan, a privilege which I wish I had taken advantage of more.

Tyrn is a wonderful boy - full of joy and ready to explore anything in front of him.  I love how he yells my name; "'Reen" seemed simplest and catapulted me from being "silent pointing at my face".   I have now evolved into "Freen" and even have had cookies named after me.  I take great pride in being the family member with the best elephant sound (a highly coveted skill) as well as escorting Maggie - hey, she's my dog, I can claim her successes as my own - for visits.  Maggie patiently allows for hugs, horsey-back rides (assisted, of course) and yummy sticky fingers thrust in her face.  She is probably more of an annoyance to Niko than Ty is to her.
hard core rock throwing

Ty loves to climb, jump off (and on) anything, throw rocks (or anything) into water, and to sing.  He is forever asking anyone to play cars with him, loves to dance to his dad's crazy hippy music and and watch music videos (with a particular preference for teen pop songs). He also enjoys playing with makeup brushes ("ooooooooooohhh" he proclaims as he rubs them all over his face) and baking.  He is a boy after my own heart - gender stereotypes be damned.
Ty skyping with Nana & Papa
painting

That being said, he is beautiful.  Perfect skin, huge blue eyes (just like his Mama!), eyelashes for days - and a non-nonchalance to pull it all off with aplomb. Strangely, a large population of the people I used to work with (because I had to show them every picture of all of these kids) think he looks like me. I love it when they say this because he's just so freaking adorable. People also tend to think that Kylie and I are sisters, not that Marc is my sibling, so perhaps that has something to do with it.
cool dudes brush their teeth
Fraser has such a fun personality.  He is generous with his smiles and quick to snuggle into that special crook in your side - especially when sleepy.  Julie and Lowell are generous to share photos and videos so we all feel like we're there every step of the way.
How cool is this kid?
Having a nephew at home prompted me to visit more than I had in the past.  I went almost two years without heading back to Southern Alberta and since Fraser came along I've been back twice and now we've moved within 200km so visits are much easier.

I love that he (or more accurately, Julie and Lowell) have taken to the hat I made.  It enables me to be there from wherever I am.  I joked to Julie that I'll make him the exact same hat for every stage of life.  Perhaps I should stock up on yarn? He's already on the second one so perhaps there's something to that plan.
Fraser in his life-long hat #1.
Fraser's wonderful first birthday party!






And now baby Ezekiel.  It's hard to describe the personality of a baby.  Especially one you've only spent a few days with.  He is a gentle baby.  He sleeps as babies do, and when he's awake his eyes are wide to take in everything around him.  He enjoys the company of a wonderful and caring big brother, and is quick to smile at Ty's antics.  His skin is so dark that I often joke that he takes after Kylie's Grandpa who was infamous for his perma-tan.
brand new baby Zeke


Soon (April 2013) we will have G-baby grandbaby #4! For fun pregnancy (not to mention Fraser) updates, visit Julie and Lowell's blog here. And for updates on Marc, Kylie, Ty and Zeke feel free to check them out here.

In summation, being an aunt is pretty freaking awesome.  So siblings, please feel free to have more kids.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each of your nephews would say Auntie=Awesome too!!
Love,
Mum:)

Alisha said...

I agree with your mum - sounds like you are a pretty awesome auntie - you bake and crochet and make elephant sounds and have a cool dog - all those things are adding up to awesome in my books!

Alisha

D said...

Nice post. They are cuties, that's for sure.

m+K said...

great post shareen! we agree. you are an awesome aunt and we have awesome kids.

we are sad that you moved to faraway alberta, but we will still see you lots and love when we do.

Lowell & Julie said...

I left a comment here when you first wrote this post, but it apparently didn't show up.... dang phone!

We think you are an AMAZING Auntie, and these kiddies are soooo lucky to have you! We're happy to have you closer to home too so Fraser gets to grow up knowing Auntie Freen!!