Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January Schmanuary

It's January. 2011. I hardly know where 2010 went. Yes, great memories were made:
  • Maggie joined our home. I remember waking that first week, my body aching to go back to sleep, wondering if I'd ever get used to the work this puppy was making me do. It's been almost a year and she's house-trained, and is a gorgeous and social girl. She's definitely her mama's girl...much to Craig's chagrin at times.
  • We've welcomed a nephew! Ty is the sweetest young boy a family could hope for and this auntie is very proud. I don't think I'll ever forget the phone call from Marc that night.
  • Epic girls' trip to Penticton! I spent Canada Day weekend with my dear friend Jill in Penticton - exploring wineries, eating amazing food, watching really bad movies and being girls. I am so thankful for good friends.
  • Craig began his third season with the Chargers. He has a great bunch of guys this year. Guys who are willing to work and want to win. I also enjoy the group of parents a lot (especially because they don't judge me for being a crazy fan). Photo courtesy of Kevin Light.
  • Lots of visitors! I think our first visitor of 2010 was Jill in January (and is about to come back this weekend!), then came Carlynne & Dan from Ontario - the trip was too short, but it was great to see them. We also hosted Craig's parents, Kylie (and Tyrn!!), Mum and Dad for what is turning into our annual Thanksgiving get-together, Joanna came from Singapore, and a few others who I feel horrible that I cannot remember.
How is it that I can't find ANY pictures of our visitors except hilarious ones of Mum and I running the Royal Victoria 8K race? I need to take more pictures of things that are not my dog.
  • Renovations! We've slowly but surely been working on our townhouse. This year involved a new storm door downstairs and exterior door upstairs (two entrances, two levels), new interior doors and hardware, baseboards, a ceiling fan in our bedroom, painting the main floor bathroom and then having it renovated as the best Christmas present ever (from Craig's parents). I'm proud to say I tiled the backspash myself - which included using a wet-saw - and am now excited for my next tiling project...the kitchen backsplash! This is the bathroom after I painted the stripes and before putting everything back together...you can see a little bit of my lovely tile. :)
  • G Family Christmas in HAWAII! Instead of a gift exchange and getting together in Lethbridge this year, we all met earlier in December in Maui. It was truly a fantastic time. We spent time boogie boarding, cooing over Ty, went snorkeling, ate shaved ice (mmmmm, shark's blood) and lots of other yummy goodies. Each couple took turns making dinner and each evening became an event of it's own. Mum & Dad took on the task of Christmas dinner, complete with turkey, stuffing and all the fixings. Marc and Kylie made - wait, is it bad that I can't remember? No! I do! It was amaaaaazing. Chicken with goats cheese, blueberries, and wilted spinach... Carlynne and Dan then stepped up with rack of lamb and risotto (complete with a drizzle of white truffle oil). Julie and Lowell had a pizza party with the most amazing fresh Hawaiian pineapple and Craig and I had a Mexican fiesta.

I hope 2011 holds at least as many exciting moments, gales of laughter and family get-togethers. We have such wonderful friends - and 2010 has seen the development of new friendships that have become so special. We are blessed by incredible families, who - now that we're older - we can't seem to spend enough time with.

3 comments:

Lowell & Julie said...

My favourite was the Hawaiian family vacay!! I hope our family gets to see each other LOTS in 2011!!
xox

Q&Z said...

love it!

m+K said...

Hey Shareen fun post!!! My word verification is NESTLE mmmmm