Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fishy Friends

There are many benefits to living by large masses of water, benefits I have not realized until recently.
I have never been one to go fishing. Not that I don't think I'd enjoy it, it just doesn't occur to me as an activity when I want something to do. However, having recently reaped the benefits of someone else's haul - maybe it will in the future.
Through random connections, chance meetings, blog stalking and now because of our dogs (they have a lovely pup named Pavlov - I know, so cute, right? - who Maggie chases after in attempts to get him to play with her) - I have gotten to be friends with Quinn and Zoe.Photo shamelessly stolen from their blog (PS - Zoe is a super talented photographer and the brainchild behind MaevEden Images, you can check out her work and chat with her about bookings here.)
I enjoy their light-hearted nature, generous spirit and the general feeling of love and laughter that envelops you when you are in their presence. Quinn and Zoe's father recently went on a fishing trip and Zoe generously offered me some of their catch when they got home. Being someone who volunteers her husband for a lot of things without his knowledge I was excited at the prospect but understood that 1. they might not catch anything/a lot or 2. they might not want to share and they had every right not to.
But that's not their style. The caught eight ENORMOUS salmon and when Zoe called I didn't expect what I got....a fish that wouldn't even fit in my sink. It was about a bazillion pounds - what? I never exaggerate! - and after becoming fully certified in how to fillet a fish by watching not one but TWO youtube videos I got out the tools I needed (1. very sharp knife 2. cutting board - although the fish hung off either end it was the best I had 3. container with water 4. tweezers) and off I went.Turns out internet/youtube certification is a joke and I need much more practice before I'll be any good at filleting a fish, as I ended up with fish everywhere, but I had a good time laughing at myself in the process. And Maggie enjoyed the scraps that fell on the floor.
So thank you, Quinn and Zoe, for your generosity in fish (and for pushing me to learn a new skill...). Just don't ask me to fillet YOUR fish, I don't think you want to go there.

4 comments:

Mama Bear said...

you should DEFINITELY take up fishing!! It's probably the best thing ever! No, really.

Danica said...

Sushi for Maggie. That's one lucky dog.
I hate fish. :-(
But I like fishing! :-)

Q&Z said...

You are too sweet! We've loved getting to know you too... one day Pav and Maggie will be in LOVE.
Glad you liked the fish.. come filet ours? har har.
xo
Z

Lowell & Julie said...

I like Zoe and Quinn. I like fish. And I also like YOU!! :)