Sunday, July 27, 2008

Blog Liar

"I've got to blog more often...that was exhausting." Was what I wrote, over two months ago. I'm not going to stress about it. I am a sporadic blogger. When I have fodder - and time - I blog, when I don't....
This summer has been beautiful on the Island. I am finally starting to feel like this could be home. The prairie-girl still lives in my heart, but the ocean, beaches, greenery, flowers, rock formations, and character of the city are convincing me for now that this is a pretty great place to be.
Also, I feel as if I'm developing a good group of friends here now. I have girls I can call up to chat or go for coffee, a wonderful running buddy and we can talk about anything, friends who I go to aquafit with or meet up with at all the crazy and exciting events this city has going on.
Last night was Luminara, a lantern festival put on by the Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria. We've missed it the last two years but this year I convinced Craig to join me in checking it out. So we whipped up some lanterns (with such tools as bamboo skewers, a hot glue gun, kitchen twine, wax paper, crayons, white glue and some mini LED lanterns from MEC - note to those making lanterns: wax paper is not the best, I didn't think that through...I should have used tissue paper) and headed off.
Can you tell what these are? Ruby slippers! Can you believe someone made ruby slippers out of wire and tissue paper and lit them up? They were so beautiful.
So, after a late night wandering the park with our lanterns we came home with a hankering for chocolate. So, what makes more sense than making a batch of brownies at 11pm? I decided to check out Kylie's claim that the recipe she's linked on her blog was both the best and the easiest brownies ever. They certainly were easy and, yes Kylie, they also were the best brownies that have ever come out of my kitchen. I'll be holding onto that recipe.

4 comments:

Bloggy Mama said...

That sounds like the coolest festival ever!!

Lowell & Julie said...

That sounds like a really neat festival. Edmonton should include that to their long list of summer festivities! Yesterday was apparently the busiest day of the year in Edmonton b/c 3 major festivals overlapped.

And those brownies...you say they're easy AND yummy? I would whip some up now for when all you guys come, but if Carlynne catches sight of them (which she WILL), they won't see the light of a new day. :)

Can't wait to see you in a few days!

m+K said...

Shareen, very cool festival! I think you were telling us about it before. I am glad you liked the brownies too, I think this is the first time I have posted a recipe that people have actually tried. I have gotten e-mails from three other people also telling me how good they are. What did you use to float your boat?
See you soon!
Kylie

Mama Bear said...

i love lantern festivals! I missed the one here in vancouver this summer :(