You see, I have been talking about Phantom of the Opera since before we got married. When I was in grade 5 the grade 6 class got to go up to Calgary to see the production and I was unbelievably jealous. My friend Heather had gotten to go and soon afterwards bought the soundtrack. We would sit in her room, go to the playhouse, or climb into the tree in the front yard with our little portable stereo and sing, sing, sing that soundtrack. As soon as I had cash of my own to spend I bought the mack daddy of Phantom soundtracks--the one that includes all the dialogue as well. I've known that piece inside and out for years, but still I had never seen it. So...my mind began to work, but I said nothing.
Finally Saturday rolled around and it began with an early morning. Craig began driving and soon we arrived at our friend Pete's. His girlfriend Erica soon arrived and we headed off. As we drove to the ferry terminal they insisted I divulge where I thought we were going. Finally, I admitted that I thought we were off to see Phantom of the Opera. Pete looked over and said, "Oh, that would have been a good idea. But the Whitecaps are in the playoffs and I managed to get some tickets through work and so we're going to get some VIP treatment at the game." Now, I do love soccer, so I had to try to convince everyone that this was going to be fun too, and I was not disappointed.
We arrived in Vancouver and went to Kitsilano Beach to have our wonderful little picnic. Pete and Erica brought the food and we provided the wine and the snazziest picnic set you've ever seen. We walked along the beach and watched some people play volleyball until it was time to head off. When we got to the car Craig looked at me and said, "Alright, I suppose I can tell you now. We are going to Phantom of the Opera..." I suppose he could tell by the look of sheer delight on my face that he had surprised me and I was happy about it. I was antsy all the way to the Queen Elizabeth Theater, and couldn't wait to go sit down.
By luck of the draw we had great seats and I didn't have to look over anyone's heads. The show was incredible. I loved it, and although in parts I don't think it lived up to the expectations that had been 15 years in the making, much of it did. I would go again in a heartbeat...maybe next time we'll see it on Broadway...now that would be a fantastic surprise, right Craig?
2 comments:
I too have always dreamed of going to see that!! You are so lucky! i don't see justin every sitting through something like that! Ahh im so jealous.
on a side note... are you going to Annalises wedding this weekend?
Yay phantom! Dad took me for grad (we went after i got back from China) and it was sooo good! I was hoping the chandalier falling would be even more dramatic, but I'm still glad we weren't sitting right under it! I have to say all the candles on the stage was pretty cool!
Post a Comment